Payroll Support Document

Open as: PDF or Word Document

Fixing a wrong Social Security Number after W-2s have been filed

This procedure outlines what to do when a wrong Social Security Number has been reported on an Employee W-2 and the W-2 has already been filed with the SSA.

  1. Issue the Employee a new paper W-2 with the correct Social Security Number.
  2. Log into the BSO.
  3. Go through the W-2c process online,, bso section. This only needs to be done once (i.e.: for single employee).
  4. Make the corrections for the employee by filling out the online form supplied. Boxes A through I need to be filled out even though you may not be correcting all of them.
  5. Click "Done"
  6. Choose "W-3c"
  7. Submit
  8. Print out the confirmation.

No new files need to be provided to the SSA, neither as a replacement nor correction.

© NEMRC 2010-2023 | Privacy Policy