Payroll Support Document
Social Security Number (SSN) Verification
There are two Internet verification options you can use to verify that your employee names and Social Security numbers match Social Security's records. You can:
- Verify up to 10 names and SSNs (per screen) online and receive immediate results. This option is ideal to verify new hires.
- Upload overnight files of up to 250,000 names and SSNs and usually receive results the next government business day. This option is ideal if you want to verify an entire payroll database or if you hire a large number of workers at a time.
While the service is available to all employers and third-party submitters, it can only be used to verify current or former employees and only for wage reporting (Form W-2) purposes.
Why Should I Verify Names and SSNs?
- Correct names and SSNs on W-2 wage reports are the keys to the successful processing of your annual wage report submission.
- It's faster & easier to use than submitting your requests by paper listings or even using Social Security's telephone verification option.
- Results in more accurate wage reports.
- Saves you processing costs and reduces the number of W-2Cs.
- Allows Social Security to properly credit your employees' earnings record, which will be important information in determining their Social Security benefits in the future.
Step by Step
- Register to use SSNVS - www.ssa.gov/bso/bsowelcome.htmRegistration is required. Third-party preparers need only register once in their own firm's name. Complete the registration form and select your own password. Social Security will verify your identity against their records and display a User ID. Make note of the User Id. More Registration Info
- Request Access and Activation Code - Return to www.ssa.gov/bso/bsowelcome.htm login in with your User ID and password and select "Request Access and Activation Code."
- Activation Code is Mailed to Your Employer - Your employer should give you the activation code which allows you access to SSNVS.
- Login to Use the Service -
Go to www.ssa.gov/bso/bsowelcome.htm, select Login, input your User ID, Password and your activation code and you will be able to use the service.