Payroll Support Document
What is BSO?
What Is Business Services Online?
- BSO offers Internet services for businesses and employers who exchange Information with Social Security.
- To begin using BSO, you must first complete a one-time registration process. You can register online at www.ssa.gov/bso/bsowelcome.htm
Or by calling: 800-772-6270
As a registered BSO user, you will be able to:
- Submit W-2 and W-2c wage files to Social Security
- Create, save, resume, print and submit Forms W-2c online
- View status and error information for W-2/W-2c data submitted
- Acknowledge receipt of a notice from Social Security
- Complete an online form or submit files to request verification of names and Social Security numbers of employees
BSO will begin accepting Tax Year 2007 submissions on December 17, 2007
To use BSO you will need:
- Internet access
- Web browser (Internet Explorer for example)
Information you will need to Register:
The information you provide when you register allows SSA to contact you, if necessary, and to confirm your identity before issuing a PIN.
- Name as it appears on your Social Security Card
- Social Security Number
- Date of birth
- Preferred mailing address
- Work phone number
- Fax number (optional)
- Email address
- Town/School Employer Identification Number(EIN)
- Town/School phone number
*****If you are already registered, change your password to keep your Personal Identification Number(PIN) from expiring. Passwords must be changed at least once every 365 days.
- Beginning December 17, 2007, BSO will begin accepting Tax Year 2007 submissions
- The Internal Revenue Service will consider electronic annual wage reports for Tax Year 2007 to be late if submitted after March 31, 2008.