Utility Billing FAQ
Billing Calculation Steps
A detail document is available for each Menu and Reports Menu item
Check that any Comments you want to appear on the Bill are set properly. Refer to the "Adding a Comment to a Bill" document for more information on Comments.
- If you use meter readings in billing calculations, then you need to post the meter readings from "2. Meter Readings" on the Main Menu. Collecting readings using automated devices still requires this step. The "Meter Route Book" can be printed if you manually collect meter readings.
- If you have entered meter readings, then print the "Meter Reading Register" to compare against the Meter Route Book. Take note of comments that may indicate a rollover or missing readings. If corrections are necessary, make the changes through "6. Account Maintenance."
- Print the "Rate Code Report" to save with the other reports for this cycle. This will show what rates were in effect during this cycle. If rates need to be updated, use "7. Rate Maintenance" from the Main Menu to update.
- Print from the "R. Reports Menu" the "9. Account Listing" report in summary for all Inactive accounts to confirm those should be on the list. If corrections are necessary, make the changes through "6. Account Maintenance" on the Main Menu.
- If interest/penalty should be added prior to this bill printing, then use "3. Post Charges" on the Main Menu and select the proper item. You must close the period before you can calculate interest.
- Use "3. Post Charges" on the Main Menu and choose "Regular billing." Print the calculation report. This report details by rate code the amount of accounts and dollars calculated.
- Print the custom report UBCUS00 from the custom Reports Menu. This is a listing of the top customers billing calculations by total dollars. Review for accounts that appear out of place by billing amount. Correct through "6. Account Maintenance" the rates attached or meter information when necessary. Corrections require returning to step 6.
- Go to "R. Reports Menu" on the Main Menu, and choose "2. Billing Proof Sheet." Print the Billing Proof Sheet and compare with the Calculation Report. The total of new charges should match the calculation by service. Review each accounts new charges and ending balance. Correct through "6. Account Maintenance" the rates attached or meter information when necessary. Corrections require returning to step 6.
- Go to "4. Print Bills" on the Main Menu, and check (by left clicking) the box next to "Include Accounts that Only Have a Previous Balance" and set the due date to be the same as the due date of the new charges.